- Called to the Bar (1992)
- U of T Law grad (1990)
- Sole practitioner (8 years)
- Partner in small law firm (Hiltz Szigeti) 2002-2013
- Sole Practitioner Again (2 years and counting) this time complete with Associate and Articling Student
- New Firm: Anita Szigeti Advocates Mom to two astonishing kids, Scarlett (13) and Sebastian (10) • (Founding) Chair of Mental Health Legal Committee for nine years (1997 to 2006) • CLA Member since 2009
- CLA Toronto Director since 2013
- CLA’s Chair of Mental Disorder Portfolio since 2013
- Counsel to clients with serious mental health issues before administrative tribunals and on appeals
- Former Chair and former member of LAO’s mental health law advisory committee
- Educator, lecturer, widely published author (including text book on consent and capacity law)
- 20+ years experience as counsel to almost exclusively legally aided clients
- Frequently appointed amicus curiae
- Fearless advocate
- Not entirely humourless
Highlights of Professional Achievements Profile
Anita Szigeti has practised law in Ontario for over 20 years.
She is one of a handful of recognized experts on the law of mental disorder, both in the civil and criminal justice streams. All of her clients, by definition, have experienced some serious mental health issues and come into contact with the law. They are almost exclusively legally aided. Despite this, Anita remains reasonably good-humoured most days and occasionally publishes books (through LexisNexis,) gives a lot of speeches and writes a lot of papers.
Anita has previously been honoured and privileged to serve as Chair of the Mental Health Legal Committee, Chair of Legal Aid’s Advisory on Mental Health, Facilitator of the Amicus Curiae Program for mental disorder appeals in the Court of Appeal, among other things. She joined the Criminal Lawyers’ Association in 2009 and has since acted as counsel to the Association on a number of matters, including a lengthy Inquest. She is currently a Toronto Director of the Association and Chair of its Mental Disorder Portfolio.
Anita is often counsel on Inquests and has appeared on many appeals, including in the Supreme Court of Canada.
Anita is proud to work in a two – lawyer firm known as Anita Szigeti Advocates. Happiest in the Courtroom, she is found there almost every day. She is perhaps most proud of having mentored two generations of lawyers, so far.